Sunday, May 4, 2008

PRU12...Aku berkongsi sejarah dengan Negara ku Malaysia

I turned 21 while I was studying in the US and at that time I care less about my constitutional right as a voter. And I didn't even care if my IC/name was used for "phantom voter" - if so exist? I came back in Oct 1990 right after the 8th. General Election, if I'm not mistaken, and with much anticipated result that BN won without much hassle. Came 1995 General Election, I was again don't see BN can be troubled by weak opposition. And you know what, I was again failed to fulfill my constitutional right as a voter. As we all know BN won hands down - ok they failed to capture the so-called "Serambi Mekah" state, so what? they still continue to rule the nation. Came 1998 - the historic Anwar saga that lead to Reformasi Movement storm into political landscape. The 10th. General Election in 1999 see the toughest hurdle the National Front had to overcome after the infamous sacking of Anwar by Tun Dr. Mahathir. It was also claimed to be as the "dirtiest" election ever in the new era that saw revelations of unfair practices in conducting the election. Much hope was given to the opposition after the Barisan Alternative was formed to fight one-on-one with the National Front. Kelantan & Terengganu fall to the opposition which saw votes for BN had deteriorated. However, learning from 1999 election nightmare, BN came back in the 11th General Election in 2004 to have a landslide victory, re-capture Terengganu and although they can't form the state government in Kelantan, they manage to deny the opposition (PAS) the 2/3 majority. All passed GE I failed to vote, although I almost did in 1999 & 2004.

PRU12 saya telah berazam untuk pergi mengundi dan dengan isu-isu semasa yang saya nampak begitu sarat dn tenat, buat pertama kalinya saya telah berjaya membuang undi untuk kali pertamanya seumur hidup saya dan saya berasa amat lega. Saya juga berasa amat bangga sebagai seorang rakyat Malaysia!

For details of Malaysian GE, see link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Malaysia

No comments: