Thursday, December 27, 2007


Once upon a time.......Part 1

Some 40 years ago when Malaysia was still struggling to establish itself as sovereign state, and 10 years after the Merdeka (independent) - the year I was borned into a family of pauper (I would not describe as such if I knew there were people who live without food and shelter). The life was so beautiful then.

Each morning I woke up to the sound of cockeral and azan (call of prayer), rushing to nearby telaga (well), nicely constructed by my late grandfather with wooden fence around it as safety feature. The water was icy cold for I dare not taking bath until the sun rise. Not until the treated water from the pipeline reaching and installed to my kampung, the telaga had been a servant to us for wash and bath. I still remembered, the person who relief the most were my mom and of course by only brother Abang Chor whom we rely on to fetch the water from the telaga for my mom everyday.

Before leaving for "bendang" (paddy field) mom will ensure breakfast is prepared. The best "kampung" breakfast were goreng pisang abu, roti prata and my all time favourite "kuih lompang" - and till now I am called "mat lompang" by the siblings. Calling me that name not as bad as the other "name" they called me of which very much to my displeasure.

(To be continued)

No comments: